One of the major advances in Firebug 1.4.0 is comprehensive accessibility support. This includes:
- Navigation and activation of all Firebug controls through keys alone. (Tools > Firebug > Enable Accessibility Enhancements)
- Focus indications in the UI
- Key-command rebinding support. (Tools > Firebug > Customize Shortcuts)
- Support for screen readers for visually impaired developers.
There area already two excellent posts about this feature:
- Accessibility Enhancements in Firebug 1.4, comprehensive documentation by Hans Hillen, the developer of the feature.
- Blind web devs, jump on the Firebug train!, by Marco Zehe
Plus this is just a start, Mozilla will be supporting development of Firebug tools for developers to apply in creating accessible web sites.
Thanks again to Hans for this great feature.